Monday, May 19, 2014

The Week's Happenings

My parents came to visit over Mother's Day weekend but I wouldn't say it was a "vacation" for them! We dragged them around to various kids activities but it was a lovely time together! They were able to witness Jesse's first time getting 3 hits during a baseball game and being awarded the game ball, participate in Grandparent's day at school, steal some snuggles on the couch, and make homemade ravioli and sauce with me!

 Grammie and Josie sounds asleep

 Could anything be cuter than this?!

Keeping the Italian traditions alive!

Then of course I feel like I have to keep you all updated on my running happenings now that I have professed my future goals out loud for the world to hear! I loved the feedback I received from you and the encouragement...it truly warms my heart and helps spur me on!

This past weekend I ran another 10K but was able to share my passion with my 2 older children. Asher has already shown a desire (and talent) for running and triathlons and he has been begging me to sign him up for a 5K this season. Anna got wind that a friend of hers was doing this particular race so she wanted in on the fun too! Why not, off to "Carter's Run" we go. This particular race meant something to me as a local family puts on the event to raise awareness and money for the Dandy-Walker Syndrome (a disease that their oldest son was diagnosed with). The mom is a member of my running group and her son use to take swim lessons with Jesse when she was planning the 1st Carter's Run. We would chase our babies and chat about her plans. This was only their 3rd year and it is amazing how organized and wonderful this event is-the most family friendly racing event we have ever attended. Such an honor to be a part of this fabulous event!

Ready for the race! The race was a 5K loop that the 10K-ers did twice with the 10K starting 15 minutes before the 5K. So my goal was to catch my kids during my 2nd loop! Asher was too fast (he finished in 28 minutes on the dot...yes a talent in that boy!) but I saw Anna during my last half a mile and I truly believe it put a fire under my feet! I got another PR this season (47.38 10K time) and finished 2nd female overall! It was extra special being able to share the experience with my kids. Anna finished with her friend in 38:08. Then we all got to enjoy the family fun fest afterwards...we didn't leave the festivities until they were packing up the tents! There was face painting, moon bounces, prize wheels, a Redskins player who signed our shirts, and a trackless train. It was an awesome morning.
 Josie with Scooby Doo.

 Trackless train.

 Jesse won us some free desserts!

Fred Smoot signed their race shirts!

No comments:

Post a Comment