Tuesday, July 8, 2014

...And We Run!

So I LOVE the fourth of July! So what better way to kick off the holiday than with a 5K so that 2 of my loves can be celebrated on the same day! Sharing the event with my family made it even better. It was an awesome morning (I feel a new tradition coming on!). 

Asher and I both ran the Firecracker 5K in Reston Town Center, VA. Is was such a well organized event that truly celebrated the military and their service for our country. I was super happy to PR another race with a 22:56 (7:23 minutes per mile) 5K placing 7th in my age group. It has been a great racing season for me! Asher ran his 5K in 30:20 - he will be passing me in no time!

It was also joy to run this race with my Tuesday/Thursday morning Moms Run This Town (MRTT) running group. We have trained together for this race and it was so much fun to have the whole gang there. Such amazing encouragement! I started running with this group in April and in such a short time they have come to mean so much to me. I am going to hate leaving these ladies!

This picture just cracks me up! That is Asher to the left with the green socks and shoes on. He always lines up with the elites at the front. I am sure they give him some dirty looks but it never seems to bother him! Go Asher!

 Josie, Jesse, and Anna did the kids fun run. Josie is crossing the finish line with pure determination as Joel cheers her on. I think she is taking after her mother! She now keeps showing me how fast she is as she takes off down the sidewalk.

 Anna, another chip off the old block!

Jesse is the one right in the middle looking around taking it all in.

The Thorson runners proudly displaying their medals! 

Anna's biggest excitement of the day was running into Anna Duggar from TLC's 19 kids and Counting. Anna and I LOVE watching this show together and Anna was the one who spotted "the other Anna" and insisted to Joel on who it was! We knew her and her husband Josh Duggar had recently moved to DC but never thought we would actually tun into them! Josh Duggar did the 5K and his kids did the fun run. It was fun watching the cameras buzzing around them and we actually had a normal conversation with them-they were so nice and gracious. Our Anna was just glowing.

Then it was on to barbecue's and fireworks! I am so grateful to have had such a special morning with my family, being the proud momma watching my kids find joy in something that means so much to me. And again I am so grateful to Joel, my biggest supporter who always rallies behind me as I keep dragging us to races. I am so blessed. We pray you all also had an amazing holiday sporting your red white and blue and American flags and cherishing some precious family moments.


No comments:

Post a Comment