Sunday, July 19, 2009

The 2nd Best Adventure in the US

Kayaking the Na Pali Coast in Kauai, Hi (check!). #1 is white water rafting the Grand Canyon, and #3 is dogsledding in Alaska. This past weekend, Joel and I took a weekend in Kauai (without kids) for some quality time before his deployment and you know us...we always have to have an adventure so why not one that is nationally rated?! It was 6 hours of ocean kayaking with a 2 hour lunch break. We were exhausted but saw the most amazing sites we have ever seen. Yes, I created this image but both photos we actually took there. We kayaked along the coast you see...17 miles! We saw turtles and dolphins, kayaked through caves and lava tubes. IT WAS AWESOME!!! The only way to see the Na Pali coast is by boat or air.

Here we are along the coast.

These cliffs were seen in Jurassic park and King Kong.

Mary taking a dip in the back of a cave we kayaked through.

Lunch at a secluded beach that you can only get to by boat.

Joel and Mary at Waimea Canyon, "the Grand Canyon of the Pacific".

We also took a helicopter tour...amazing.

The "jurassic park" waterfall, can only be reached via air.

The Na Pali coast from the helicopter...yes, we kayaked that whole thing!!! and then soaked in the hot tub at our hotel the rest of the night :0).

We had such an amazing time. It was hard to come home and home we did to 3 sick kids. My dear friend Diana took them for the weekend and didn't tell me how sick they were the whole time until we picked them up. We felt so bad! Not to mention that I am sick now as well. Now that I have taken Nyquil for the cough and fever, and IBprofen for my soar limbs, I think I am going to head to bed to prepare for a sick family tomorrow-and dream of Kauai.

1 comment:

  1. Mary, your blogs are so bitter sweet for me...in many ways. Bitter in that they make me miss Hawaii soooo much. Sweet in that I love seeing what new adventure you've found (I actually clicked on the link today thinking "I'm sure Mary will have an update...it's been a few days surely there's been a new adventure.)...but also bitter because you've always been on some new adventure and I want to do those kind of things. And sweet because I love "seeing" you, Joel, and the kids
    Any way...finally verdict...I love reading your blogs...keep 'em coming.

    ReplyDelete