Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Thorson Vacation, Part III

This will be the last installment of the major Thorson Vacation. I still look at these photos and fill with happiness. It was such a wonderful time! While in Hawaii, I was blessed to join a group of ladies called the "Wet Hens", an all women group of sailing instructors that teach military women/spouses how to sail in order to promote community and a means of enjoying Hawaii. This group has a ton of wonderful history, has created ties all over the world, and provided me with amazing sailing opportunities all over Oahu. It was empowering and thrilling, and fun to have a skill that Joel didn't have...hehe. So this past July, the Wet Hens celebrated their 50th Anniversary with an amazing reunion. 100 ladies, 1 being an original charter member, traveled from all over the world to attend and it was a blessing to be a part of it and sail with my old sailing buddies. This reunion was another excuse to justify this trip!

Wet Hen tradition is you greet past Wet Hens as they arrive at the airport. I was filled with so much excitement knowing the greeting Josie and I were going to receive...cheering ladies, a lei, a Wet Hen flag waving, and lots of hugs. This picture is taken at one of the evening banquets with my sailing buddies.

Me at the helm of 24 foot sailboat. Someday I will have my own (I pray). My vacation was filled with lots of sailing thanks to dear friends willing to watch a cute 5 month old.

OK, so we are not sailing but this is my sailing bestie Melissa. We took the Wet Hen class together, were sailing partners, and then joined the group as instructors together. Melissa and sailing just go together! You should have seen us clinging to the boat for dear life on day 1 scared out of our minds.

Melissa and I racing together during the big 4th of July race on a Catalina 14. I was a little rusty. I am not sure how we ended up placing because we were having way to much fun!

A friend saw this picture and said "Ah Mary, you are home". It couldn't have been stated better. Sailing is what made me fall in love with Hawaii and now I can't imagine my life without. I pray DC will give me some opportunities to get back on the tiller. I had a very hard time when we first moved to Hawaii, and was in a very dark place. Maybe one of the darkest of my lives. The Lord had a good work to do in me. Sailing helped me to truly see His creation in a different light, to find in myself a place and strength I didn't know existed, and blessed me beyond measure. I am so thankful for the week He gave me to spend with Him in this way again.

No comments:

Post a Comment